Kirstin's Chronicles

Welcome to the chronicles of my adventures. As I journey with the Lord I hope to share about the people along the way and all that I learn.

Friday, September 01, 2006

A few random thoughts...

So I thought I would share a little about my experience with grocery shopping. I know something that seems so common is not quite when you don't speak the language. First the concept of customer service here is that the customer is not right. For example the other day while shopping I decided that I would like a peach so I knew I needed to weigh the peach and put a sticker on it. Well I couldn't quite figure out what the word for peach was, so I looked at the pictures and guessed. I punched the button to weigh the fruit attached the sticker to it and went on with my shopping. When I arrived at the checkout the woman grabbed the fruit and scanned it, then forcefully handed it back to me speaking in Hungarian that it was not the correct sticker. I am standing there trying to communicate that I don't know what to do. With disgust she motions over a man and hands him the fruit to go get the correct sticker, I start to follow and she is still speaking frantically to me in Hungarian and I have no idea if she is saying follow or stay so I stay. Finally the man arrives back with the correct sticker on and we can then finish my order. This is just one of the many times I have not done something correctly and been told forcefully so, I am gathering that is what I am being told because the rolling of the eyes seem to indicate such. Anyway for the most part I just smile and try to figure it out. Maybe by the end of my year here I will know what sticker goes with what fruit... or maybe I will just go to the fresh fruit market, they were much more friendly there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home