Kirstin's Chronicles

Welcome to the chronicles of my adventures. As I journey with the Lord I hope to share about the people along the way and all that I learn.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Some Thoughts on Rest

Have you ever noticed that at times a similar thought or idea keeps coming to you through a variety of ways? There has been an ongoing thought in my head that has bounced around for a while never quite finding its landing place yet. I definitely think God is teaching me something but the picture is still in process. It is like the brush strokes are being painted but the image is not quite clear.

It is all around the idea of rest and God's grace. Intellectually I have studied both and at times have even spoken to the idea. But just like a beautiful masterpiece there are many layers and the beauty of the piece is not always fully appreciated by the first glance.

So over the past few months I have kept coming back to this idea or it has been coming back to me. Last week as I was looking at a running website looking at future races there was an article about rest. Intrigued I clicked on the link. It lead me to an interesting 60 Minutes video on the effects that lack of sleep has on our bodies and mind and how we don't fully perceive how truly devastating the effects are but just feel a little tired and keep pushing through.

Then awhile ago I picked up the book "The Rest of God" by Mark Buchanan. In the midst of other things and busyness just never got around to reading it. But as it sat on my bookshelf it kept being in my line of sight. So I pulled it down and started reading and have been challenged ever since. Mark speaks of the idea of Sabbath not just as a day but as more than that as a way to restore our souls. I wanted to share just a few thoughts from what I have read. Although I have yet to finish I am truly enjoying reading and contemplating the thoughts he presents.

Mark writes

-Wise people ask, Does the path I'm walking lead to a place I want to go? If I keep heading this way, will I like where I arrive?

-Real Sabbath, the kind that empties and fills us, depends on the second condition, on complete confidence and trust. Confidence and trust like that rooted in a deep conviction that God is good and God is sovereign.

- When we stop caring about the things we care about - that's a signal we are too busy. Busyness kills the heart and robs us of knowing God the way we might.

- This is the essence of a Sabbath heart: paying attention to God.

So as I come to my email today I have a friend's newsletter waiting in my inbox. Realizing in the moment I don't have time to read it yet I set it aside for later. Of course as I came back home this afternoon and opened it up and realized it was about busyness I had to chuckle. If you want to check her thoughts out go to www.truelifecoaching.com and go to the Newsletters section.


So I don't know completely what God is saying to my heart but I know He is speaking. I am loving listening to his voice more closely and sitting waiting as the picture because more clear as I learn to distinguish the Master's brush strokes.

1 Comments:

Blogger KT said...

This verse comes to mind when reading your entry: Psalm 46:10:
10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

It is one of my favorites. I love to "rest easy" in God. It is hard to do sometimes but when I can accomplish it, there is nothing better.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home