Kirstin's Chronicles

Welcome to the chronicles of my adventures. As I journey with the Lord I hope to share about the people along the way and all that I learn.

Friday, March 04, 2011

Thoughts from a book

As always I am deep within another book. I think I should just put a bookshelf by my bed instead of a table. Right now I am reading a book called "UnChristian". It is so intriguing and thought-provoking as the authors discuss "what a new generation thinks about Christianity".

So in the current chapter the idea of helping people develop in spiritual formation has come up. Something with which I whole-heartily agree is crucial to seeing the next generation raised up in faith. So I thought I would put down some of their thoughts.

Quoted from the book

One way of looking at spiritual formation, though certainly not the only way, is to examine the passions that should define a Christ follower. In our work at Barna, we examine these seven elements.

  • Worshiping God intimately and passionately
  • engaging in spiritual friendships with other believers
  • pursuing faith in the context of family
  • embracing intentional forms of spiritual growth
  • serving others
  • investing time and resources in spiritual pursuits
  • having faith-based conversations with outsiders.
End Quote.

As I looked over the list it makes me consider where are these priorities in my own life and am I exemplifying them to those around me. Am I leading students to consider what it means to truly be a Christ follower and walk faithfully with Him.

Looking forward to continuing further in the book and continuing to ponder what this means to a future generation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Great thoughts on various aspects of spiritual formation. A great reminder in that what we talk about out disciles will talk about too!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

Great thoughts Kirstin. I've heard good things about that book.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home