Kirstin's Chronicles

Welcome to the chronicles of my adventures. As I journey with the Lord I hope to share about the people along the way and all that I learn.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Ahhh the race

So finally getting time to write about the actual run. The night before we had quite the experience as twice there were fire alarms going off throughout the entire hotel. Not quite the restful night you would want before a race so thankfully our hotel was pretty much a couple of blocks from the starting line.

We awoke and I ate my breakfast of a piece of bread with peanut butter. Checked my camelbak pack to make sure I had my shot bloks and water and put on my gear and headed out to the lobby to meet the group.

Don't we look so ready to go! It was early.

So as for the race I paced with Melissa for the first hour. She is much more experienced than me in the half marathon so I knew I would be in good hands. After about 11 km I was feeling pretty good and thought I should pick up my pace a little. So at that point I cruised away from Melissa and began the last part of the race by myself. Well I think I cruised a little too fast and in the last couple of miles I wanted to pick up the pace even more but the legs were just not having it. I remember somewhere along kilometer 17 or 18 a girl ran by and said that was the longest kilometer she has ever seen. I somewhat agreed and then thought how many kilometers am I running? I knew in miles but didn't really pay attention to the kilometers.

At last I saw the final mile marker and knew the end was in sight. So I kept plodding along at my slow pace and then came to the final stretch. Seeing the finish line was a glorious sight. Thankfully the group was at the end and I could hear them cheering me on as I came to the finish line. I had done it! I finished my first half marathon. Albeit slowly but I did it! I got my medal and some much needed food so after Melissa crossed the finish line as well. Yay!


So after a little bit of walking around, my legs were so tight, we headed back to the hotel for the infamous ice bath and a shower. Then about an hour later those finishing the marathon were set to cross so we headed back down to the finish line to cheer them on. It was a great experience.

Here were after all showering and getting ready to get some lunch. Note don't bend down for photo after running first half marathon. It is not easy to get back up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

congrats Kirstin, good for you!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home